A bit of history...
Ahlstrom-Munksjö's Genuine Vegetable Parchment (GVP) technology takes roots in a fairly unique know-how in this production process which was invented in the 1840's.
Only a few producers remain worldwide for this demanding, sensitive process which is as much a science as an art. Today; this technology is mastered by two of our plants, both located in France.
The parchmentization process transforms cellulose; giving this natural, renewable resource plastic-like abilities. GVP is a continuous monomaterial: the fibers are gelled together forming a cellulosic gel, the surface is closed.
It is achieved in two steps: first; the paper making:
And then the parchmentization; which is where the magic happens:
Sustainability built in each fiber
GVP is biodegradable and produced from responsibly sourced and renewable wood pulp, certified according to FSC™ standards.
Additionally; as it is made out of 100% cellulose fibers with no chemical additives, most of its variants are biodegradable and certified home compostable with OK COMPOST HOME from TÜV and industrially compostable with OK COMPOST from TÜV (EN13432).
Unique ink-free patterning capability
GVP offers the ultimate brand experience. You can decide to color your parchment with a range of BfR and FDA approved colors for a more vibrant branding. We also offer unique ink-free patterning possibilities ensuring a strong brand recognition and protection against counterfeits.
Unlike other cellulose based products; GVP has outstanding water resistance:
Applications for GVP are numerous; we haven't found all of them yet! So far, we are active in the food, furniture laminates, textile tube covers and other industrial applications; but the sky is truly the limit for this wonderful tool.
Discover our parchment products
- Baking at home
- Baking for pros
- Industrial baking and steaming
- Food containers and molds
- Butter packaging
- Dairy and meat packaging
- Textile Tube cores
- RFID prelaminated inlay release material
- Parchment paper for processing of decorative laminates
The benefits of GVP in a nutshell
- 100% virgin natural fibers from renewable resources, sourced from responsibly managed forests (FSC, PEFC)
- Complete grease barrier with no chemical agents
- Natural wet strength ; stronger in water
- High internal bond
- Superior temperature resistance
- Great release when silicone coated
- No loose fibers or dust
- Customizable (colors and ink free patterning)
- Direct food contact compliance
- Certified Home and Industrial OK compost